Basil Nut Crust
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 1 cup finely ground almonds or almond flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 large eggs plus 2 yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Lighthouse Lemonade Cordial
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 5 tbsp margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 large egg white
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- To make the lemon cream: Place the eggs, yolks, and sugar in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan filled with simmering water. Add the Lighthouse Lemonade Cordial, lemon zest, and whisk to combine. Cook the lemon cream uncovered, whisking occasionally until the mixture has reached a thick consistency. This should take approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the margarine one tablespoon at a time.
- While the lemon cream is cooking, prepare the crust: Melt the margarine either in the microwave oven for 45 seconds, or on the stovetop, until melted. Pour in the walnuts, almonds, and sugar and mix until combined. Add the chopped basil and mix.
- Scoop the crust into an 8-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Use your hands to press the crust down so it covers the bottom of the pan and goes up the sides. Try to even out the rim at the top. Place in the oven 15 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and spoon the lemon filling into the crust. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the outside edges of the cream are set; the inside can remain a little wobbly. Let cool and then place in the fridge for at least two hours or overnight.
- To make the meringue topping: In a small heavy saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue to cook the sugar until it reaches 230ºF on a thermometer.
- While the sugar is cooking, beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff.
- When the sugar is ready, turn the mixer speed to low and then slowly pour in the cooked sugar down the side of the bowl, not directly onto the wire whisk. When all of the sugar has been poured in, turn the mixer up to high for one minute.
- Use a silicone spatula to spread the meringue all over the top of the lemon or use a pastry bag and tip to make any decorative designs. You can use a blowtorch to lightly brown the meringue or place the tart in a 450ºF oven for a few minutes, watching the entire time, until the top browns. Store in the fridge for up to three days.